How to Make Patriotic Rice Krispies
Make these fun red, white, and blue rice krispie bars for your summer party!
They are so easy to make and your guests will love them! Add some patriotic star sprinkles for a nice touch!
Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies
- 12 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 9 Cups Rice Cereal
- 9 Tablespoons Butter
- Red Food Dye
- Blue Food Dye
- Patriotic Sprinkles
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place 4 cups of marshmallows and 3 tablespoons of butter in a large mixing bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds or until the marshmallows are smooth when stirred and the butter has melted.
- Add a bit of the red food coloring using a spoon or toothpick. Quickly stir until no color streaks appear. If it’s not red enough, add a bit more until the correct shade is reached.
- Add 3 cups of the cereal to the bowl and mix until the cereal is fully coated.
- Add the mixture to the greased pan and spread even until it makes a nice even layer, covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- Repeat steps 2-5 for the white layer, but skip adding any coloring to it.
- Repeat steps 2-5 for the blue layer, but only add about 2 drops of the food coloring to start. It gets bright quickly. If you need more, you can add it, but don’t start with more than 2 drops.
- Sprinkle as many patriotic sprinkles over the top as you like, and lightly press down on the sprinkles so they stick to the top of the treats well.
- Cover and let sit for about 4 hours or until dry. Cut into squares and enjoy!
You can use any sprinkles you like. I loved the stars, personally, but there are a ton of fun sprinkles out there.
If your pan tapers (smaller at the bottom, larger at the top) you may need to add more cereal to the upper layers for it to spread fully over the top without leaving holes.
If you add too much butter, you will end up with rice krispie treats that want to fall apart and not hold together.