Water Chestnuts Wrapped in Bacon Recipe
If you’re looking for a unique and delicious holiday appetizer, these water chestnuts are amazing! Make sure to try our bacon wrapped little smokies, too!
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- 2 cans whole water chestnuts drained
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar divided
- 1 pound bacon cut into thirds
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh parsley chopped (for garnish)
- Toothpicks to secure the bacon around the water chestnuts
- In a small bowl, combine the water chestnuts, soy sauce, garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Be sure to use a baking sheet with raised sides to prevent grease from spilling into the oven during baking.
- Wrap a piece of the bacon around one water chestnut and secure with a toothpick; repeat with the remaining water chestnuts.
- Place the bacon wrapped water chestnuts on the prepared baking sheet and bake at 400F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool down for a few minutes, then very carefully scoop off the excess grease with a spoon and discard (or transfer the water chestnuts to a clean baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray).
- In a small saucepan, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining ½ cup brown sugar. Heat over medium heat, whisking often, until the mixture is hot and the brown sugar has dissolved into the ketchup (about 2-3 minutes).
- Brush the sauce generously all over each bacon wrapped water chestnut, then return them to the oven at 400F for 20 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Remove the toothpicks (they will likely be discolored from baking) and replace with fresh toothpicks for serving or serve without toothpicks. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired.