This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, thank you!
If you’re looking for the best cut out sugar cookies to make for Easter, try this recipe! Its fail-proof!
The almond extract is what makes them taste SO good and are addicting!!
- On step 3 for the cookies, with my hand mixer I make sure I mix really well the butter and sugar. By incorporating more air in the step, I have noticed the final result is airier and almost melt in your mouth.
- When adding the flour mixture to the wet ingredients I add slowly as I don’t want my mixture to be too dry. You know you have the right consistency when you take a piece of dough between your fingers and if pressing with your fingers it won’t stick.
- I finish mixing by hand, that’s why I like to use a large mixing bowl, so I don’t over mix and the dough have a better consistency.
Easter Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Sugar Cookie Icing Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Gel color I like to use gel color as it won’t dilute my mixture and have no taste.
- 6 tablespoons milk or cream
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. (In this step I make sure I mix until it is nice and fluffy about 2 minutes. The cookie will be airier as a result)
- Add eggs & vanilla and almond extract. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Set aside
- In another medium bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add flour to the cream butter mixture. Not all at once otherwise it will be too dry.
- Mix well. It will be a crumbly mixture.
- With your hand, finish mixing the dough in the bowl. (I do the final mixing with my hand so it gives me a smoother dough)
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350-degree F.
- Put the dough in between 2 parchment paper and roll the dough to ⅛ to ¼ inch thick. (Remember if you go for a thinner cookie, you may need to adjust your time).
- Choose your favorite cookie cutter and create magic.
- Bake in your prepared pan at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in the pan for 2 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE FROSTING
- In a large mixing bowl combine powdered sugar and cream of tartar
- Add the vanilla and almond extract.
- Add the milk 1 tablespoon at the time.
- Separate in smaller bowl and add the coloring you want: red, green and white
- Transfer your icing to a pipping bag with a small tip so it is easier to do design.