Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
Make a delicious healthy dinner for your family! These stuffed peppers are a favorite for us and are lower calorie than using tortillas. If you are on the keto diet just omit the rice.
What ingredients do I need to make stuffed peppers?
- Bell peppers
- Garlic cloves
- Ground turkey
- Worcestershire sauce
- Brown rice
- Italian style diced tomatoes
- Provolone cheese
Do you have to boil peppers before stuffing them?
No, you can bake the peppers for 20 minutes while preparing the stuffing ingredients. This way they will soften and will not be crunchy.
What goes well with stuffed peppers?
(blogger- link your recipes that pair well. Examples are salads, bread, cornbread, and vegetable side dishes.)
Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 6 multi-colored peppers
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil freshly chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Italian style diced tomatoes
- 2 cups provolone cheese grated (mozzarella/cheddar also works)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the peppers and cut off the top where the stem is at. Use a knife to carefully cut out the seeds.
- Place the peppers in a casserole dish and bake in the oven while preparing the stuffing ingredients.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and sauté the onions until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and use a spoon to break up the meat as it browns. Use a spoon to remove any excess fat and discard.
- Add the tomatoes, cooked rice, oregano, basil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir half of the provolone cheese into the ground turkey mixture. Remove the peppers from the oven. Use a spoon to scoop the mixture into the peppers. Depending on the size of the peppers there may be a bit of extra filling. Add to a small casserole dish to cook with the peppers.
- Bake the peppers covered for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with remaining cheese.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the peppers are fork tender.
Store leftover stuffed peppers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in a baking dish at 350 degrees until warmed through.
Make ahead directions: Make the filling the up to two days in advance, stuff the peppers and store in an airtight container. Bake as directed (may take a few extra minutes if not pre baking the peppers).