Homemade Chicken and Dumplings from scratch is a classic comfort food meal. This recipe utilizes cake flour for the homemade dumplings, making them light and perfectly tender. Homemade chicken and dumplings is a staple dinner in my household!
OK, now this may sound weird and I may get several messages after this, but, I only make Chicken and Dumplings when it is cold outside. I can’t eat it when it’s hot out…that’s weird right?!? My husband thinks so! So if it is cold (or it doesn’t bother you to eat it when it’s hot out!) this recipe for homemade Chicken and Dumplings from scratch is to die for.
I’ve been making this exact recipe for a few years now. In all honesty, I can’t take credit for this one. The recipe is from my sista. She’s not really my sister, but, we are BFF’s and have known each other for 17+ years and we know each other’s deepest darkest secrets and we both don’t have a real sister so we are each others!
It’s my sista’s recipe that she gave to me a few years back. I made it one cold and snowy night and the hubby fell in LOVE with it. When he’s happy, I don’t mess with a recipe!
Weight Watchers FreeStyle Plan: 11 SmartPoints per serving
How to Make Homemade Chicken and Dumplings from Scratch
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
A delicious one pot meal to warm you up on any night! Homemade Chicken and Dumplings from scratch is great if you are having guests over.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1½ c liquid chicken stock
- 6-8 c water
- 2 bay leaves optional
- 2 c chunk celery
- 2 c chunk onion
- 2 c chunk carrots
- 3 cups cake flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 4½ tbsp. shortening
- 1 cup milk
- In a large pot add 2 tablespoons of butter and let melt.
- Brown the chicken with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Once the chicken has a skin on it, add in the vegetables.
- Gently pour 2-3 cups of water at a time until all the ingredients are bathing in the water. Gently boil for 1 hour.
- About a half hour before serving make your dumplings in a bowl. Sprinkle your work surface and rolling pin with cake flour. Roll the dough out until it’s about ½” think. Using a pizza cutter (or sharp knife) cut 2″ diamond shapes (just got diagonally). Add the dumplings into the pot and let cook for 10-15 minutes.
On the day that I cooked this particular Chicken and Dumplings it had just got done snowing for two days….I’m not lying when I say I can only eat Chicken and Dumplings when it’s cold outside! While they were outside playing, Momma was inside cooking and making Hot Chocolate!
I love to see what you are creating in your kitchens! Feel free to share photos of your homemade Chicken and Dumplings with me on Facebook or Instagram. And, be sure to follow me over on Pinterest for more Heavenly Recipes.