Switch up dinner tonight make some tex mex tater tot casserole in the slow cooker! It’s bursting with flavor and cheesy goodness. We normally make the traditional tater tot casserole using cream of mushroom/peas/carrots but I wanted a little spice to switch it up!
Just brown the ground beef first and let the crockpot do the rest!
The great thing with it is some of us LOVE extra cheese. So 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time we added more cheese and everyone was happy.
My whole family ate seconds and asked if we could have it again next week, I call that a win! Make sure to check out all our other easy crockpot meals!
Crockpot Tex Mex Tater Tot Casserole
- 1- pound ground beef
- 1- pound 16 oz breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can 10 oz. Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained
- 1 can 15.25 oz whole kernel corn
- 1 bag 32 oz frozen tater tot
- 3 cups shredded Colby cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the onion. (cook for 2 minutes)
- Add ground beef, breakfast sausage and seasoning. Cook until the meat has no more pink (4-6 minutes).
- Add the Rotel tomatoes can and corn. Mix well. Cook for 2 minutes
- Spray your slow cooker liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour half of the frozen tater totes in bottom of the slow cooker
- Add half of meat mixture, spread evenly.
- Add last half of the frozen tater tots
- Add the last half of the meat mixture
- Set the slow cooker on High
- Cook for 2 ½ hours
- Cover with cheese
- Cook for more 30 minutes
- Breakfast Sausage can be substituted with ground Italian sausage
- Rotel tomatoes with green chilies can be replaced by Rotel tomatoes with Jalapeno or a can of diced tomatoes and the juice of a jalapeno (Cut ½ inch piece of Jalapeno, slice in half, put in a garlic press and add the juice of the Jalapeno to the tomatoes.
- Cheese can be substitute with any cheese you like, cheddar, mozzarella. I personally prefer the cheese in block that I shred myself. It melts better and is more “string”.
Leave a Reply