The Cutest Valentines Appetizer
Impress your sweetie with these darling little heart shaped caprese skewers for Valentine’s Day! They make the cutest Valentine appetizers even for a big party!
What ingredients do I need to make caprese skewers?
- Grape tomatoes
- Mozzarella balls
- Fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze reduction (I love this one from Target!)
Heart Caprese Skewers
- 12 Grape tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce tub mozzarella balls (ciliegene size)
- 24 Small fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic Glaze reduction
- 12 4 inch wooden or bamboo skewers
- Cut the grape tomatoes in half diagonally at a 45 degree angle. Turn one half of the tomato 180 degrees and press the two halves together to create a heart shape.
- Thread one mozzarella ball onto a wooden skewer. Next, thread one basil leaf onto the skewer. If the leaf is too large, fold it in half before threading it onto the skewer.
- Thread the heart tomato onto the skewer. Next, add another basil leaf to the skewer. Finally, add another mozzarella ball to complete the skewer.
- Add the skewers to a platter to serve.
- Have a balsamic reduction in a squirt bottle or a little bowl to dip the skewers in.
● Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container lined with a damp towel for up to two days.
● I like to drain my mozzarella balls on a paper towel for 10 minutes before assembling the skewers. This helps to minimize moisture leaking and forming puddles on your serving platter.
● The longer grape tomatoes make better hearts than the shorter ones.
● I like to serve my caprese skewers with a balsamic reduction.
● You can use marinated mozzarella balls to give your skewers additional flavor.