Best Way to Cook Potatoes in the Oven
There is absolutely nothing better for dinner than a crispy on the outside, soft as a cloud on the inside potato. They can go perfectly with steak, pork chops, you name it!
This oven baked potato method is my favorite to use as they come out perfect every single time!
When you have the time, use the oven! We normally do it in the microwave for 5 minutes (make sure you poke holes first) but the oven guarantees the best texture.
Top it with some butter, sour cream, salt and chives to complete it as a side dish. We also sometimes do a potato bar where you put all the toppings in bowls and your family can choose. We love to incorporate crispy bacon bits, and cheddar cheese as well!
- 6-8 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- Coarse kosher salt or sea salt
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Butter sour cream, chives, cheese, etc. for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and scrub the outsides of your potatoes and remove eyes and imperfections as desired.
- Drizzle oil over the potatoes and use your hands or a basting brush to coat them evenly.
- Prick the potatoes all over with a fork.
- Sprinkle potatoes evenly with coarse salt to coat.
- Bake potatoes for 1 hour or until tender all the way through. Insert a knife in the center of potatoes to check for doneness.
- Allow potatoes to cool for 5-10 minutes, then slice, garnish with your favorite toppings, and serve.
Leave a Reply