Looking for a crockpot soup recipe? Try this creamy tortellini soup for dinner! It’s the perfect comfort food meal on a cold night.
Crockpot Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
It’s very easy once you fry up the sausage. You just dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it cook!
Not only is this soup delicious but the colors and vibrancy it has is beautiful.
My family requests this all the time in the winter and I am happy to make it too! You can omit certain ingredients that your kids don’t like as well (or just pick them out before serving).
Crockpot Creamy Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 20 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini or flavor of your choice
- 12 ounces chopped frozen kale
- ½ cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage directly to the pan, breaking it up until browned and cooked through. Add the sausage to the body of the crockpot, leaving any drippings in the pan. If the sausage did not make about 1 tablespoon of fat, add the olive oil to the skillet along with the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Scrape off any bits on the bottom of the skillet. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add this to the crockpot.
- To the crockpot, add the oregano, thyme, and chicken stock, stir to combine. Add the lid and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- Whisk together the heavy cream and the cornstarch, making sure there are no lumps. Stir this into the crockpot. Add the tortellini, kale, red bell pepper, and ½ cup of the cheese, stir it in to combine. Place the crockpot on high and cook an additional 20 minutes or until the tortellini are cooked through. Taste, add salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately with more parmesan cheese if desired.