This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, thank you!
How to Make a Whole Chicken in the Crockpot
If you have a whole chicken and are wondering how to make it while you’re at work, this recipe is for you! Just dump the ingredients in, switch it on and come home to a wonderful crockpot meal!
This is my favorite way to cook a whole chicken now, the skin actually gets crispy but not too much.
Lovely juicy chicken inside with a flavorful skin to go with it! Yum! I hope you enjoy.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 2 sweet onions sliced
- 1 whole chicken giblets and extra pieces removed from the cavity
- 1 garlic bulb cut in half
- 2 lemons cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For the gravy:
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups broth from under the chicken after it’s cooked
- Rinse the chicken, discarding any extra pieces from the inside of the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Create an even layer of the sliced onions on the bottom of the slow cooker and lay the chicken over the onions.
- Place a garlic half on each side of the chicken. Stuff two lemon halves inside of the chicken cavity. The remaining two lemon halves should be placed on each side of the chicken.
- Pour the olive oil over the chicken and rub to completely coat. Combine all of the seasonings and sprinkle over the olive oil.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees between the chicken thigh and breast without touching a bone.
- Remove the chicken and place on a serving platter. Keep warm.
To make the gravy:
- Transfer the onions and about two cups of the liquid to a medium skillet. Discard the garlic and lemons.
- Place the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the wine to the chicken renderings and heat until the liquid is hot. Sprinkle in the flour, whisking until thickened.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the onions and gravy.
Leave a Reply