Stay home and make some butter chicken at home!It’s an Indian dish, also known as Murgh Makhani. Serve with steaming hot jasmine rice and naan bread! It’s SO delicious.
You will need to marinate your chicken breasts to get the flavor infused first!
It’s so good, don’t be surprised if your guests lick their plate clean 😉
Easy Butter Chicken
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 stick butter cut into pieces
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts cleaned and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vibrant red chili powder or regular chili powder will do (I prefer the Kashmirilal brand)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 of a white onion diced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic paste or finely minced garlic
- 6 Roma tomatoes sliced into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 tsp ginger paste or finely minced ginger
- Start by mixing the yogurt, lime juice, salt, red chili powder, olive oil, garlic paste and ginger paste together in a bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and marinade in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat half of the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the onions in the butter until they become translucent. Then add the cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and cashews.
- Let them cook for about 2 minutes as you stir.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the tomatoes. Bring the chicken broth to a simmer and let the tomatoes cook until they become soft (about 10 minutes).
- Strain out the tomatoes, onions, cashews and bay leaves and add them all to a large blender along with 1 ½ cups of the chicken broth and let them cool until it’s safe to blend. Then blend until smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining butter. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook in the butter. Once the chicken has cooked almost all of the way through, pour in the tomato sauce.
- Bring it to a simmer over medium heat and stir to prevent burning.
- Let the sauce reduce for about 10 minutes, then swirl a spoonful of the heavy cream in a circular pattern over the top of the chicken. Garnish with cilantro/coriander and serve with Jasmine or Basmati rice and Naan.
Try These Reader Favorite Dinner Recipes
Quite a few of our Dinner Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite dinner recipes that we hope you'll also try!