This is my go-to recipe for making pizzas at home! I love making basil, mozzarella, and cherry tomato tortilla pizzas on the grill.
How to Make Pizza Sauce from Scratch
There is nothing better than homemade pizza sauce where you can use staples already in your pantry! Also, the fresh basil, onions, and garlic make this so delicious!
Make a big batch and you can store in the fridge for a week.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
- ½ an onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tsp chopped basil or 1.5 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 6 oz cans tomato paste
- ¼ cup of water
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Start out by pulsing the can of diced tomato in a food processor until it has reached your desired consistency. If you prefer a smooth texture or do not have a food processor I recommend using a can of tomato sauce instead.
- Next, dice half an onion, mince the garlic, and chop the basil.
- In a medium sized pot set to medium-low heat, add oil and onions then cook for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the remainder of ingredients to the pot and stir. Add a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.