How to Make Homemade Caramel Popcorn
Caramel popcorn is a favorite around our house! We always make it for popcorn tin gifts during the holidays and movie nights. It’s actually pretty easy to make at home! Make sure to try our Puffcorn Christmas Munch and Snicker’s popcorn too!
What ingredients do you need to make homemade caramel popcorn?
- Plain popped Popcorn
- Light Brown Sugar
- dark Brown Sugar
- Light Corn Syrup
- Cream of Tartar
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
What kind of popcorn do I use to make caramel popcorn?
The preferred way is homemade popped popcorn from kernals (unflavored) BUT I used Orville Redenbacher’s Naturals Simply Salted Microwave Popcorn for ease!
The kids say this reminds them of Cracker jack popcorn!
I hope you enjoy with your friends and family!
- 2 microwave bags of plain popped Popcorn** (about 10 cups popped)
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup dark Brown Sugar
- ½ cup light Corn Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees F. Spray a large roaster pan with cooking spray, set aside. Place the popped popcorn in the large pan.
- Using a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter; stir in the light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, and cream of tartar. While stirring continuously, bring to a boil. Now without stirring, boil the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add in the vanilla extract and baking soda.
- Carefully pour the caramel over the popcorn; quickly stir to combine evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring in 20 minute increments.
- When the hour is up, remove pan from the oven and turn out onto parchment paper, or waxed paper to cool. Give it a good stir to break up any large clumps that may have formed.
***I used a disposable turkey roaster pan