Treat yourself to this gingerbread loaf recipe swirled with a cream cheese filling! It is so addicting and easy to make.
This recipe is similar to the Starbucks gingerbread loaf but I think it’s even better.
It’s always the best when food is homemade and this will wow your family!
As soon as you cut into the loaf you will see the beautiful swirls of cream cheese.
Cheesecake Filled Gingerbread Loaf
- 1 stick unsalted butter ½ cup – Softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup molasses – I used Grandma’s original molasses
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup hot water
Cream Cheese Swirl:
- 1 large egg
- 4 oz. cream cheese – brick style – softened
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- You could top with a dusting of powdered sugar; cream cheese or vanilla canned frosting or make a homemade cream cheese frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x5x3 loaf pan with a non stick baking spray or line the pan with parchment paper or foil for easy removal and spray the liner with non stick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter with a mixer (hand or stand mixer works) to soften. Gradually add in the sugar, mixing until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and molasses; beat thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture, alternating with the hot water, beating after each addition. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, prepare the cream cheese swirl by beating together the egg, cream cheese, sugar and flour; mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Pour half of the gingerbread batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it to the edges. Then, spoon the cream cheese filling over the batter and spread it out evenly. Pour the remaining gingerbread batter over the top and gently spread it out to the edges. Do not swirl the cream cheese layer or batter, when the bread bakes in the even it will create it’s own swirl pattern.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Check the bread around the 40 minute mark to make sure it’s not browning too much. If the bread is over browning then cover it with a sheet of foil and continue to bake it until done.
- Allow the bread to cool for about 10 minutes and then remove the loaf and cool it on a cooling rack until no longer warm.
- When the bread is ready to frost, for simplicity spread store bought cream cheese or vanilla frosting over the top, cut and serve! If you prefer no frosting, a dusting of powdered sugar would work perfectly. Or to prepare the homemade cream cheese frosting follow these instructions:
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer (hand or stand mixer works fine) until smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar a little at a time, mixing between each addition. Add in the vanilla and the heavy cream or milk, mix again until the frosting has formed and all of the sugar lumps are gone. If you prefer a thinner frosting then add a little more milk until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Store covered at room temperature if you have used powdered sugar or canned frosting, store in the fridge if you’ve made the cream cheese homemade frosting.
Try These Reader Favorite Dessert Recipes
Quite a few of our Dessert Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite dessert recipes that we hope you'll also try!
- Hershey Pie
- Homemade Buckeyes
- Cinnamon Pretzels
- Bakery Style Brownie Recipe
- Smores Dip
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Death by Chocolate Cheesecake
- Minion Cupcakes
- Unicorn Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Oreo Brownies
- Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
- Snicker Salad
- Coca Cola Cake