How to Make Caramel Candies
Make easy delicious homemade caramels for holiday gifts or just to have for a treat!
- What ingredients will I need to complete this recipe?
You will need the following ingredients: butter, sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, evaporated milk, and salt. The addition of vanilla is optional
- What supplies and baking equipment will I need?
You will need the following supplies: Medium sauce pan, 8×8” baking pan, parchment paper, pan release, measuring cups and spoons, stirring spoon, sharp knife and wax paper.
- How long will it take to make this recipe ?
It should take you approximately 20 minutes to gather your ingredients and prepare recipe. Cook time will be about 30-45 minutes or until caramel reaches “soft ball” stage on a candy thermometer (240 degrees).
- How should store my caramels?
Wrap individual caramels in wax paper (or a candy wrapper) and store in an air tight container.
- Gather all ingredients at once and prepare pans ahead of time. Use room temperature ingredients.
- Making caramels is a long process, you have to watch it while it’s cooking and be patient until it reaches that “soft ball” stage to be successful.
- Wax paper is an easy, “in home” wrapper but you can use actual candy wrappers too.
- Use a super sharp knife or sharp bench scraper to cut caramels.
Wrap them in wax paper after they have cooled to keep them fresh!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 can evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional : 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium sauce pan, add butter, sugar and brown sugar and let melt down. Add corn syrup and continue to stir to bring all ingredients together.
- Bring caramel up to a steady boil over low/medium to medium heat.
- Slowly begin to add evaporated milk in small amounts, it should take you about 5-10 minutes to add whole can. Caramel will bubble up with each addition so make sure you are stirring in constantly when you add milk.
- Add a candy thermometer to your pan and you want the caramel to stay at a rolling boil, stirring often so caramel doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Continue to heat caramel to “soft ball” candy stage on thermometer, about 240 degrees.
- This can take 20-30 minutes, but keep heating until it reaches this stage to ensure you caramel will set as a soft but set up product.
- Prepare 8×8” baking pan with pan spray or butter and parchment paper. Spray pan lightly so the parchment will stay in place and than spray again of parchment paper.
- When caramel is at soft ball stage, remove from heat and add vanilla and salt and stir. Pour caramel into prepared pan and let set up for at least 4 hours.
- When caramel is set remove from pan and cut with a sharp knife in either squares or rectangles (the choice is yours) Wrap in wax paper the length of twice the size of your caramel. Enjoy!!