Derby Pie® is a gooey chocolate pecan pie made with Kentucky bourbon. It’s a classic Kentucky dessert, perfect for the holidays, or a Kentucky Derby party.
You guys, Kentucky Bourbon Derby Pie® is one of those pie recipes that I break out during the holidays, and I dream about it all year round. Oh, and before you ask…
Why is it called Derby Pie®?
The delicious bourbon-filled chocolate pie was created by George Kern (with the help of his parents) in the kitchen of the Melrose Inn of Prospect, Kentucky. It is often associated with the Kentucky Derby, hence the name. This pie recipe is super simple to make! Every time I make it, I ask myself why I only break it out during the holidays.
I think the answer to my question is that it’s not very often that I have bourbon on hand. While I use to enjoy it mixed in with a glass of Coke, I just don’t drink mixed drinks like I use to. I have become a wine Mom and even at that lucky to have a glass every two weeks. While I’d love to curl up with my blanket, a glass of wine and a book at night, it remains a dream.
I have been making this recipe for Kentucky Bourbon Derby Pie® for 10-plus years. It’s one of the most requested desserts from my friends and family. If you want chocolate pie, this Derby Pie® recipe is for you.
So there are some recipes, like this Derby Pie®, that no matter how hard you try, they just aren’t pretty. So to make them pretty, you’ve got to give it some love. To show this Kentucky Bourbon Pie some love, all you gotta do is add canned or homemade whipped cream!
Alright let’s get you the Derby Pie® recipe because after all, that’s why you are here and I don’t like to bore you with a lot of riff raff and stories about myself because well….you aren’t here for that.
How to Make Kentucky Bourbon Derby Pie®
WW FreeStyle Plan: 14 SmartPoints per slice
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Kentucky Bourbon Derby Pie®
- 1 9 inch premade pie shell
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/8 cup bourbon
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped *optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and butter or margarine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter or margarine melts and sugar dissolves. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix well.
- Slowly pour sugar mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until set and golden.
- May be served warm or chilled.
- I like to serve with a tablespoon of Whipped Cream.
So this is a true story – I was taking some shots of the Derby Pie®. I had dinner on the stove and went to check on it. When I came back my 2 year old son and (almost) 8 year old daughter were found enjoying this piece! Needless to say – this recipe is KID TESTED and husband approved!
Be sure to Submit a Recipe so that I can feature it on the site once you’ve made this dish! See you soon 😉
Enter your Name and Email Address Below to receive a email when a new recipe is published!
I PROMISE I won’t sell your info to those scammer people!