How to Cook a Chuck Roast in the Crockpot
Looking for a mouthwatering and easy slow cooker recipe? Look no further than this delicious slow cooker apple cider pot roast. Made with apple cider and a blend of warm spices, this pot roast is the perfect cozy meal for those chilly nights. The chuck roast becomes tender and flavorful as it simmers in the slow cooker, and the aroma that fills your home will make your mouth water. Whether you are feeding a crowd or just want to enjoy a comforting meal, this slow cooker apple cider pot roast will surely become a favorite in your household. Also, make sure to try our Mississippi Roast recipe too!
What do I need to get started?
- Chuck roast – don’t cut off all the fat, it can be cut off before serving
- Garlic cloves
- Apple cider – gives great flavor, but the meat won’t be sweet
- Beef broth
- All-purpose flour
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Bay leaves
- The apple cider gives this roast a delicious flavor without making it sweet.
- You can serve this over a sweet potato mash instead of cooking the carrots and potatoes with the roast.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- May be frozen for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 2 ½ – 3 pound chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion sliced
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large carrots cut into 1-inch pieces or ½ bag of baby carrots
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and sear all sides of the meat.
- Place the onion slices and garlic in the slow cooker and cut the butter into pieces and add to the onion.
- Lay the meat over the onion.
- In a separate bowl, combine the apple cider, broth, flour, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well combined, then pour over the roast. Add the carrots and potatoes.
- Set on high and cook for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove the meat and vegetables before serving and if the gravy hasn’t thickened enough, pour into a pan and cook for a few minutes until thickened.