This Whipped Buttercream Frosting recipe creates sweet, fluffy icing, perfect for applying to cakes, cookies, and other desserts.
Have you ever had the whipped buttercream frosting from Walmart? If you haven’t, you’ve GOT to ask for it on your next cake that they make. It’s AMAZING!
Anyhow, this whipped buttercream recipe is inspired by the whipped icing that we fell in love with at Walmart years ago.
This whipped buttercream frosting honestly came from over mixing the frosting for a Santa Belt Cake. I had the mixer on, combining the butter and the shortening. Stepping away for a couple of minutes for death cries of a screaming kid, I came back to some super fluffy stuff. I set it aside and started over.
Now, I know what you are thinking, that looks really good. In all honesty, this was the third Cookie Cake I’ve made! So seriously, if I can do this, you can too! It’s super easy and fun if you have the correct tools that make your life easier! Nobody needs to be stressed in the kitchen!
Whipped Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
Here’s a list of everything you need to make the recipe:
- 1 cup. shortening (butter flavored)
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- Food coloring or gel colors
Then when I was cleaning up from the Santa Cake video I decided to see what would happen if I just continued on with the recipe that I had screwed up from over mixing. I grabbed another bag of powdered sugar and what came out was pure heaven. The frosting was soft and light and perfect. I didn’t have any cakes to decorate, so I set it in the fridge for about two days.
The kids were asking for a Cookie Cake to celebrate something. Honestly, I can’t remember what it was! I think it was Beanies coming home with some super high test results for her MAP testing! The Cookie Cake Recipe has kinda became a thing as of late around here! Plus, I’m having fun with it. I’ve never been one to really decorate cakes, cupcakes or cookies, so this is a new learning experience for me.
How to Make Whipped Buttercream Frosting (Video Tutorial)
Whipped Buttercream Frosting
- 1 c. shortening butter flavored
- 1 c. butter
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 7 c. powdered sugar
- ⅓ c. heavy whipping cream
- Food Coloring or Dyes
- In a large bowl mix together butter and shortening until creamed together and light.
- Add in Vanilla Extract and heavy whipping cream and mix.
- Add in 1-2 C of Powdered Sugar at a time and incorporate in.
- Once the powdered sugar has all been added and evenly incorporated add in food coloring. You may need to separate amounts if doing multiple colors into separate bowls.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes so the whipped buttercream icing is easy to work with. If you take it out and it's a bit runny allow it to firm up in the refrigerator longer or you may need to add more powdered sugar to thicken it up a bit.
Try These Reader Favorite Dessert Recipes
Quite a few of our Dessert Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite dessert recipes that we hope you'll also try!
- Hershey Pie
- Homemade Buckeyes
- Cinnamon Pretzels
- Bakery Style Brownie Recipe
- Smores Dip
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Death by Chocolate Cheesecake
- Minion Cupcakes
- Unicorn Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Oreo Brownies
- Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
- Snicker Salad
- Coca Cola Cake