How to make Green Bean Casserole with Fresh Green Beans
Thanksgiving is not complete without the green bean casserole! It’s the most classic side dish to your meal but can cause a headache trying to juggle cook times and having it hot when the guests arrive. Cue the crockpot! You just dump the easy ingredients inside and set the timer. Easy peasy.
For our casserole we like to use fresh green beans from the garden (or grocery store ha!) but you can substitute them for canned.
When you put the Campbells cream of mushroom soup over the green beans they will look thick and chunky but after a few hours of slow cooking, the sauce will become creamy and more liquidified.
How do you not get soggy fried onions in the crockpot? Top the green beans with them just before serving!
Can you used canned green beans instead? Yes! Just dump 4 cans of green beans in the slow cooker.
Can you make this ahead of time? Yes you will just need to reheat the beans then top with French’s fried onions before serving.
The colors and vibrancy of the fresh green beans are amazing!
Thanksgiving dinner is complete now! Dig in!
Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
- 1 ½ -2 pounds of fresh green beans
- 2 cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1- 6 oz.package fried onions
- Combine the soup, broth, milk and seasonings, in the slow cooker. Add in the green beans, and stir until they are covered with all of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours.
- After three hours, add ½ of the fried onions, and stir to combine them with the green beans. Replace the lid on the cooker, and allow them to cook on low for an additional 15 minutes.
- The green beans will be done when they are tender.
- Top with green beans with the remainder of the dried onions before serving.
Try These Reader Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes
Quite a few of our Slow Cooker Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite slow cooker recipes that we hope you'll also try!
Try These Reader Favorite Side Dish Recipes
Quite a few of our Side Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite keto recipes that we hope you'll also try!