One of my favorite recipes from my husband’s grandmother were her Swedish meatballs. They were amazing! Who knew you could finish them in a crockpot!?
You just need to brown the meatballs then stick them in the slow cooker to finish! Easy peasy.
These go great over mashed potatoes, noodles, and rice. You could also just make them as appetizers and have guests use toothpicks to eat them.
The sauce is so creamy and delicious you will go back for seconds!
Do I need to brown the meatballs before putting them in the slow cooker?
By browning the meatballs in a skillet prior to put them in the slow cooker you are “locking in” the oil of the meat in the balls. This way your broth won’t be too diluted.
Why finely chopping the onions?
By chopping the onions finely, you add the taste of the onion and their moisture to the meatballs without overpowering.
Why add crush croutons instead of breadcrumbs?
The crushed croutons add an extra layer of spices while doing the work of a bread crumb.
Crockpot Swedish Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound breakfast pork sausage
- ½ cup finely crushed croutons breadcrumbs
- ¼ finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Allspice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 can 10.5 oz condensed mushroom soup
- 3 cups beef boullion 3 cups hot water + 1 cube of beef boullion I used Knorr
- 1 envelope Dry onion soup mix I used Lipton
- 4 oz cream cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, pork, crushed croutons, chopped onions, pepper, salt, allspice, onion powder and paprika
- Rolls mixture in balls, 1 ½ tablespoon, using a medium cookie scoop.
- In a skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Brown balls, 2 minutes each side.
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix in the slow cooker 1 can mushroom soup and 3 cups of beef bouillon and dry onion soup mixture.
- Add the meatballs.
- Cook on high 2 hours 45 minutes. No peaking!
- Take all the meatballs out of the broth. Set aside.
- Add cubed cream cheese and with an immersion blender, blend broth and cream cheese together.
- Add the meatballs back into the sauce.
- Keep warm until you are ready to serve.
Crushed croutons can be replaced with your favorite breadcrumbs
For this recipe I used breakfast pork sausage from Jimmy Dean. Any sausage blend can work. SKILLS: If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a blender. Once you have removed all meatballs from the broth, add the broth to the blender and add the cream cheese. Caution not to fill the blender too much. Once all blended, pour the broth back into slow cooker and add the meatballs. Keep warm until ready to serve.