If you love German chocolate cake, you MUST make this poke cake version! It is so moist and delicious. Make it for your friend’s birthday or any get together! I promise you there will be no leftovers.
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge: I chose this cake because I wanted a light, airy but very chocolaty cake for this recipe. Any chocolate cake mix will work.
- 1 cup of cream is optional. When you add it to the mixture it makes the sweetness and creaminess of the topping seep through the cake and make every bite a pure pleasure. If not added it is as good, you will have the thickness and richness of the sweetened condensed milk in every bite.
- When making the holes, assure the cake is completely cool. Makes it easier to have even holes.
- When pouring the sweet milk over the cake, make sure the cake is cool, so the mixture goes to the wholes
– CHEF’S TOOLS
- Mixing bowls: Anchor and Hockings glassware
- Hand Mixer: Oster Heatsoft
German Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 box 15.25 oz Chocolate Cake Mix (I like using Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge) + what you need to make the cake. In this case 3 eggs, 1 ¼ cup water, ½ cup oil
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 can 14 oz., sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup cream optional *NOTE* I like using 1 extra cup of milk to the condensed milk mixture so the mixture can really go all over the cake.
- ⅔ cups chopped pecans
- ⅔ sweetened flaked coconut flakes
- Prepare the box cake as indicated on the box as the instruction.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter (you can also use nonstick spray) an oven-proof 9×13 bakeware. Set aside.
- Pour cake mix in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the water, oil and eggs.
- With a big spoon or a hand mixer mix until all the ingredients are combined (no more dry flour).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared bakeware and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes back clean when inserted in the middle.
- Cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, mix in a medium size mixing bowl brown sugar, melted butter and condensed milk. Mix until all combined. If you want to have the mixture more liquidy, add 1 cup of cream. Mix well.
- Once your cake is baked and completely cool, with a straw make holes.
- Pour the sweet milk mixture over the cake making sure to spread all over. *NOTE* For this step you may need to use a knife and with a movement like you are buttering a toast move the milk mixture over the hole is it can go in the cake.
- Let the cake and the sweet milk mixture set for 5 minutes.
- Giving you just enough time to mix the coconut and the pecans together.
- Evenly spread the coconut and pecans over the cake as a topping.
- Serve and Enjoy!