This moist vanilla cupcake recipe makes super delicious, no-frills frosted vanilla cupcakes. Use our step-by-step tutorial to help you make perfect cupcakes for birthday parties, holidays, or an easy dessert anytime!
It’s kind of hard to go wrong with vanilla cupcakes. Except for the occasional vanilla hater (they do exist!), vanilla cupcakes are an ideal choice to serve when you’re not sure what kind of cupcakes to make. Their simplicity is their strength, and they’re just a good, back-to-basics dessert recipe.
Why you’ll love this moist vanilla cupcake recipe
Here’s why I think this the best easy cupcake recipe:
- You use a boxed vanilla cake mix. When I said easy, I meant it. No making this easy vanilla cupcake recipe from scratch. There’s nothing wrong with baking from a box sometimes!
- You can top them with whatever you want. I topped them with a fragrant sprig of rosemary and a few blueberries, but you can leave them completely plain, add sprinkles, add a sliced strawberry… whatever works for you. These cupcakes are as versatile as they are easy.
- They look like you spent all day on them. They’re done in less than 30 minutes, but they don’t look like it!
What kind of vanilla should I use in the moist vanilla cupcake recipe?
Use a quality vanilla extract in these vanilla cupcakes. It’s only 1 tsp, but it makes a big difference. Using a high-quality vanilla extract will give the vanilla cupcakes the best flavor possible.
How to Make Frosted Vanilla Cupcakes
Ready to get started on these easy vanilla cupcakes? Let me take you through the (super easy) process.
Step #1: Prepare cupcakes according to your cake mix instructions.
Step #2: Bake and cool completely.
Step #3: Prepare the buttercream frosting by mixing butter and 4 cups of powdered sugar.
Frosting Tip: Using an electric or stand mixer will work best.
Step #4: Add vanilla extract and milk to the butter and sugar mix.
Step #5: Mix until you achieve a stiff consistency.
Step #6: Add milk or sugar if you need to loosen or stiffen up the buttercream.
Step #7: Using an offset spatula, frost each cupcake with buttercream.
Step #8: Add blueberries on top of cupcakes.
Step #9: Add rosemary as a finishing touch to your easy vanilla cupcake recipe.
Enjoy your wonderful easy vanilla cupcake recipe!
Moist Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- 1 box vanilla cake mix plus required ingredients to prepare
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Fresh rosemary
- Prepare cupcakes according to your cake mix instructions.
- Bake and cool completely.
- Prepare the buttercream frosting by mixing butter and 4 cups powdered sugar.
- TIP: Using an electric or stand mixer will work best.
- Add vanilla extract and milk to the butter and sugar mix.
- Mix until you achieve a stiff consistency.
- Add milk or sugar if you need to loosen or stiffen up the buttercream.
- Using an offset spatula, frost each cupcake with buttercream.
- Add blueberries on top of cupcakes.
- Add rosemary as a finishing touch.