Homemade Laundry Soap
Tired of spending tons of money on store bought laundry soap? Make your own Homemade Laundry Soap and know exactly what’s in it!
This is one of my favorite make it yourself recipes. It is so cost effective and I actually think it works better than store bought detergent and it is HE friendly! Here is a quick list of things you will need:
- 20 Mule Team Borax ($3.97 at Walmart)
- Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (or Super Washing Soda) ($3.97 at Walmart)
- Zote Laundry Flakes ($2.28 at Walmart)
- Fabric Softener/ Essential oil for scent (Optional)
- ½ cup measuring cup
- 1 cup measuring cup
- 5 gallon bucket
- Mixing Spoon
- Sauce Pan
- Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil
- add 1 Cup of Zote Laundry Flakes to the boiling water along with ½ cup of Borax and ½ Washing Soda, stir continuously until dissolved. You must constantly stir because it will boil over in a hurry!
- Once it has all dissolved pour into your 5 gallon bucket, add 3 gallons of warm water. Mix together and let sit until cooled.
You can either store it in your 5 gallon bucket or pour into smaller containers such as cleaned out milk jugs or old laundry soap containers. I leave mine in the 5 gallon bucket and fill a mason jar when I’m ready for more, make sure you always shake well before use. It only takes ¼ cup per load and is HE safe. I have front load HE washers and I have never had any issues. The best part about this is your initial investment is roughly $10.50 ($15 if you opt for fabric softener or essential oils) and it will make approximately 10 batches of laundry detergent. You will only get about 4 batches out of your Zote however, so you either need to buy a couple boxes or just purchase another box when ready. Zote does have a very refreshing scent to it already and the fabric softener is truly optional, if you really want to add the fabric softener you can get two batches out of that or add a few drops of essential oil of your desired fragrance. The best part about this is how well it cleans your clothes! I have given samples of this to friends and family without saying a word about what I think. I love hearing how people get so excited over how well it cleans!