How to Make Homemade Pico De Gallo
Every summer we always try to make weekly trips to the farmers market for all the fresh staples. It
never fails each week we are making Pico de Gallo. Pico de Gallo can be used for so many recipes, so it is always great to have on hand. It is even better when you make it with all the fresh ingredients. From tacos to macaroni and cheese, Pico de Gallo can be literally served with everything.
What you need to create this fresh recipe: Tomatoes, White Onion, Jalapeño, Cilantro, Limes, Salt, Black Pepper, Large Bowl, Vegetable Chopper, Knife, and Mixing Spoon.
What is the best tomato to use for pico? My first choice is right out of the garden or farmer’s
market. My second choice is tomato on the vine or Roma tomatoes.
How to avoid extreme liquid in your Pico de Gallo, drain before serving. How do you get
so much liquid in the Pico de Gallo? Adding salt will extract liquid from the tomatoes.
You can add salt beforehand to the diced tomatoes then drain or you can drain the
liquid after you have prepared the Pico de Gallo.
Do I need to chill Pico de Gallo before serving? No, you do not have to Pico de Gallo can
be eaten at room temperature right after it is prepared or after it is chilled, completely
Let’s talk about the vegetable chopper– This chopper has saved so many hours in my
kitchen. Talk about making chopping and dicing enjoyable. No more crying over onions,
getting heat on your fingers from jalapeños or trying to hold slippery tomatoes. This
chopper will literally chop all your favorite vegetables.
• When chopping vegetables for Pico de Gallo I recommend chopping/dicing the
tomatoes and onions a little larger than the jalapeños.
• This is a traditional Pico de Gallo recipe, but you can also add garlic and olive oil.
What can Pico de gallo be served with?
• Tortilla Chips
• Fish Tacos
• Street Tacos
• Grilled Chicken
• Macaroni and Cheese
Pico De Gallo
- 4 medium-large Tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium White Onion, diced
- 1 large Jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup Cilantro chopped
- 2 Limes juiced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Pinch- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add diced tomatoes, diced onions, chopped jalapeno, and chopped cilantro.
- Mix all together until combined.
- Add in juice from limes, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir Pico and serve.
- Store Pico de Gallo in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.