This Lasagna Casserole (aka Johnny Marzetti) recipe is comfort food at it’s finest. Not to mention it’s a great way to feed a crowd on a budget without sacrificing flavor!
If you’ve tried my Homemade Spaghetti Sauce or Homemade Lasagna with Fresh Ingredients recipes then you’ll want to make this Lasagna Casserole. It’s pretty much the same as a Homemade Lasagna recipe, however, it voids the Ricotta Cheese and layering of the lasagna noodles.
I love Casserole meals and realized that I haven't even shared one with you until now. So if you love casserole recipes as well be sure to stay up to do with all of My Heavenly Recipes social media and be sure to join my Weekly Newsletter to get the latest recipes from my kitchen into yours.
I may have mentioned this before, but, growing up we ate Hamburger Helper (which I know REFUSE to eat), Tuna Casserole (which I still haven't made as an Adult!), Skyline and spaghetti o's (I don't think my kids have ever had that....). We were a family of 6, always on the go and my parents hustled to get us to and from practices every day of the week. As the oldest and the only girl I would often times get out eaten by my brothers. In fact, I would often hide food in my room just incase I would get hungry!
I vowed to myself to never make my kids eat the same things like that over and over again. I think that is why I created My Heavenly Recipes is to help you get out of that food rut we often get in. I was finding myself making the same things over and over again. Then realized ya'll needed some of my best recipes and decided I needed out of that rut!
This Lasagna Casserole is a great meal to double up the recipe take to a friend in need, deliver to a Mom who just had a baby, drop off to a elderly family member or just to freeze and heat on those nights that you are crazy busy and needing a meal. I often serve this along side a salad and toast. My kids and husband leave nothing left on their plate and many times get a second serving. I say that's a Heavenly Recipe that's kid tested & Husband approved!
This Lasagna Casserole can feed a crowd on a budget, is tasty and makes a great freezer meal.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp ITALIAN seasoning
- 1 lb hamburger, cooked and drained
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 box penne or macaroni noodles
- 2 C Hunts tomato sauce
- 3/4 c water
- In a large pot boil water and cook noodles according to box, drain. I use penne noodles.
- In a large skillet brown onion & hamburger until hamburger is cooked through.
- Place meat mixture back into the skillet adding in Italian Seasoning, sugar, pepper, tomato sauce and water. Mix together.
- In the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish place 4 tablespoons of meat mixture and spread. This will ensure the noodles don't stick to the bottom of the pan as if you were cooking Lasagna .
- Spoon noodles over the top of the sauce and add another layer of sauce, alternating until no more noodles and sauce mixture remain. Toss together to coat all the noodles.
- Top with your favorite cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20-30 minutes until the casserole is heated all the way through and the cheese is melted. If you want to brown the cheese a bit remove the foil and let cook for another 10-15 minutes.