These iced molasses cookies were always a favorite when grandma made them every Christmas time! Now I get to share the recipe with you guys!
Iced Molasses Cookies
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter – 12 tbsp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling the dough
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, cloves, cinnamon, baking soda and ginger. Set aside.
- Mix together the molasses and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add in the egg; mix until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with the molasses and water mixture, and mix between each addition until well combined.
- Scoop tablespoon size balls, shape them and roll into the sugar that was set aside for rolling. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Mix together the icing ingredients, starting with 2 tbsp of heavy cream. Mix in an additional 1-2 tbsp of heavy cream until the icing is thick but drippy. Drizzle the icing over each cookie and set aside to harden. Store in an airtight container.