Here is our favorite camping hobo meal in tin foil…chicken meatballs! It’s delicious and so easy to prep.
Chicken Meatball Foil Packets
- 4 red or gold potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 corn cobs shucked and quartered
- 2 cups baby carrots halved
- 1 pint mushrooms halved or sliced
- Salt & black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ small yellow onion grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Tear four sheets of aluminum foil approximately 18 inches long.
- On each piece of foil, arrange the diced potatoes, corn cob quarters, baby carrot pieces, and mushroom slices in a pile in the center of the foil sheet.
- Season each pile of veggies generously with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, grated Parmesan, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper until thoroughly incorporated.
- Form the ground chicken mixture into meatballs, roughly 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Arrange the meatballs over the piles of veggies on foil.
- Slice the butter into 4 equal portions and place it over the veggies & meatballs.
- Bring the sides of the foil toward the center of the veggies and pinch and fold edges over to create oblong packets.
- Arrange the foil packets onto a baking sheet and place into the oven.
- Cook for 45-55 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and the veggies are softened, then serve hot.
If preferred, chop two large whole, sliced carrots, instead of using baby carrots.
Whole, halved, or sliced white or baby Bella mushrooms are great in this recipe. Use whichever you desire.
If you’d rather use a protein other than ground chicken, ground turkey and ground beef are good substitutes.
If preferred, use 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning in place of the onion powder and parsley.
The potatoes and carrots will take the longest to cook inside the foil packets. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes if needed.