This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, thank you!
How to Make Homemade Shortbread Cookies
Make these delicious shortbread cookies for Christmas this year! We love to make these for our cookie exchange tins. They are so pretty gifted or displayed on a holiday platter! Make sure to try our other favorites: spritz cookies, peanut butter blossoms, and the best sugar cookies!
What ingredients do I need to make Christmas shortbread cookies?
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- White chocolate
- Christmas sprinkles
What equipment do I need to make Christmas shortbread cookies?
- Parchment paper
- 2 Cookie sheets/baking sheets
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooling Rack
Christmas Shortbread Cookies
Servings 20 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 2 tbsp Christmas sprinkles
- Turn the oven on to 350°F and preheat it. Put parchment paper on two baking sheets. Place them aside.
- Mix butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Combine all-purpose flour and salt in another bowl and add them to the butter mixture. Stir with a spatula until you get a stiff dough.
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper and place the dough in between them. Use a rolling pin to extend the dough to ⅓ inch thick. Next, refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Then, use a 2 ¼’’ (6cm) cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly golden on the edges.
- Let them cool completely before the next step.
- In the meantime, melt white chocolate in the microwave or over a water bath.
- Coat each cookie with melted chocolate and spread sprinkles before it hardens.
- Let the chocolate harden over a cooling rack.
Keep these cookies in a sealed bag for up to seven days in the fridge or up to four days over the counter.