This Easter cupcakes recipe makes chocolate cupcakes adorned with carrots. These are such cute cupcakes! Why not celebrate the Easter bunny’s favorite food in cupcake form?!
It seems like when it comes to Easter baking, so many people focus on the Easter bunny. Easter bunny cupcakes (I’ve made ’em), Easter bunny cakes, Easter bunny cookies, Easter bunny puddings… I’ve seen it all.
I have to admit a lot of it is seriously adorable and it leaves me wishing I had the same level of decorating skills as the folks on Cake Wars. (To be honest, I love baking and hate decorating. I wish I loved decorating, but I just don’t!)
But sometimes you have to just back away from the Easter bunny and do something different! You don’t want an Easter dessert spread consisting entirely of Easter bunny desserts, do you?
For this Easter cupcakes recipe, I decided to instead decorate chocolate cupcakes with the Easter bunny’s favorite food: carrots. You could actually make these in addition to Easter bunny cupcakes, and they’d look pretty darn cute served next to each other.
I also like these cupcakes because they remind me of the spring and summer, when the weather is warmer and fresh produce is coming in. These could be Easter cupcakes or spring cupcakes!
How to Make Chocolate Easter Cupcakes Recipe – Step by Step
Note: You do not need to be a master decorator to make the carrots for this chocolate Easter cupcakes recipe! The candy carrots are easy to make and kids will love making them too!
Step #1: Line a muffin tin with muffin cups and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step #2: In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Step #3: In a stand mixer, mix sugar and egg until creamy. Continue mixing and add vanilla extract and oil.
Step #4: Start adding your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients in parts, alternating with your buttermilk. Continue mixing until well-combined and then add your hot water.
Step #5: Fill each section of your muffin tin about half way. Bake for 18-23 minutes or until the cupcakes pass the toothpick test.
Step #6: Before decorating, allow the chocolate cupcakes to cool completely.
Step #7: Melt your orange and white candy melts (separately) and scoop into piping bags. On wax paper, pipe out miniature carrots. This is a really fun part, and that means a lot coming from someone who doesn’t love decorating! Use the white candy melts for the leaves of the carrots and sprinkle with green sprinkles. Allow candy to set.
Step #8: Once the chocolate Easter cupcakes are cool, frost each cupcake with chocolate frosting. Place candy carrot on top.
Other Creative Easter Cupcake Ideas
If you want more inspiration for Easter cupcakes that aren’t related to the Easter bunny, here are a few ideas:
- Bird’s nest cupcakes: Bake cupcakes and assemble a bird’s nest on top. You could use my No Bake Chocolate Bird’s Nest recipe right on top of the cupcake!
- Hidden surprise cupcakes: Hide Easter candy inside of a cupcake by baking a cupcake, scooping out a “hidden” area, adding candy, and then topping with icing.
- Use Easter Peeps: Ice a cupcake and stick a big Easter peep on top. (Sugar overload, but that’s part of the fun!)
- Place carrots “underground”: Treat the cupcake as if it were the ground, and hollow an area down the center of the cupcake. Add orange icing in the shape of a carrot to make it grow out of the cupcake (ground).
I hope you like these ideas and I hope you like this Chocolate Easter Cupcakes recipe. Happy Baking!
More Fun Easter Recipes
- Chocolate Easter Cupcakes with Carrots
- Easter Rice Krispies Eggs
- Easter Popcorn (Fun Popcorn Recipe)
- Easter Cupcakes (Bunny Tail Cupcakes) + Video
- Chocolate Chip Carrot Cake Muffins
- How to Make Shaving Cream Eggs for Easter
Chocolate Easter Cupcakes with Carrots
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot water
For the decorations:
- Ready-made chocolate buttercream/frosting or, your favorite recipe for chocolate frosting!
- 1 cup orange candy melts
- 4 tbsp white candy melts
- Green sprinkles
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cups and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, mix sugar and egg until creamy. Continue mixing and add vanilla extract and oil.
- Start adding your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients in parts, alternating with your buttermilk. Continue mixing until well-combined and then add your hot water.
- Fill each section of your muffin tin about halfway. Bake for 18-23 minutes or until the cupcakes pass the toothpick test.
- Before decorating, allow for the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Melt your orange and white candy melts (separately) and scoop into a piping bag. On wax paper, pipe out miniature carrots. Use the white candy melts for the “leaves” of the carrots and sprinkle with your green sprinkles. Allow to set.
- Once cupcakes are cool, frost each cupcake with chocolate frosting. Place candy carrot on top.
Try These Reader Favorite Dessert Recipes
Quite a few of our Dessert Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite dessert recipes that we hope you'll also try!
- Hershey Pie
- Homemade Buckeyes
- Cinnamon Pretzels
- Bakery Style Brownie Recipe
- Smores Dip
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Death by Chocolate Cheesecake
- Minion Cupcakes
- Unicorn Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Oreo Brownies
- Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
- Snicker Salad
- Coca Cola Cake