Recipe for Homemade Bug Spray with Essential Oils
– 1/4 cup of distilled water
– 15 drops of essential oils (choose from the oils listed below, for my own recipe I used a mixture of citronella and lemongrass)
– 1/2 cup of witch hazel
Let’s talk about essential oil choices. You can choose oils based on the type of bug you want to repel.
Which oils repel mosquitoes?Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Geranium, Citronella, Lavender
Which oils repel ticks?
Thyme, Juniper, Oregano, Grapefruit (grapefuit oil may cause sun sensitivies and should be used with caution outdoors)
Please note: You will need 15 drops of essential oils for this recipe. Choose 2-3 of the above oils, then divide up the required drops between the bottles. For example if you choose 3 oils, you will add 5 drops of each oil into the mixture for a total of 15 drops.
DIRECTIONS: To make your bug spray, mix the ingredients together. If your spray bottle is big enough you can mix the ingredients directly into the container. If not, simply mix the ingredients and transfer them into your container of choice.
– Keep the spray away from eyes and mouth.
– This spray is for topical use only. Do not ingest.
– Always speak to a doctor before using any essential oils on yourself or children. Ask about any potential medication interactions, allergies, or sensitivities.
How to Use: Using your spray is as simple as spraying it on your skin before you head outdoors. This spray is not waterproof so you will need to apply if your skin gets wet.