What is Shawarma Chicken?
What to Serve with Shawarma Chicken?
- Spicy Baked Zucchini Chips
- Broccoli Apple Salad with Avocado Dressing + Video
- Roasted Tomato Pasta Recipe with Fresh Mozzarella
Variations to Shawarma Chicken
- Turkey: You can use turkey instead of chicken.
- Other cuts of chicken: You can actually use other cuts of chicken besides the thighs.
- Slow Cooker: You can actually make this chicken in a slow cooker, even the oven. The Instant Pot will create the best tasting, moistest chicken.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Shawarma Chicken
- ground cardamom
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- skinless chicken thighs
- Greek yogurt
- pita bread
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion
How to make Instant Pot Shawarma Chicken
Instant Pot Shawarma Chicken
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoon garlic; minced
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic; minced
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 pita bread
- 1 cucumber; sliced about 2 cups
- 10 cherry tomatoes; sliced about 1/2 cup
- 1 cup red onion; sliced into rounds
- Beat chicken thighs with a kitchen mallet to thin out. Place into a plastic bag with cumin, cardamom, paprika, cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, sumac, cayenne, salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice. Marinated the chicken in this mixture overnight for best results.
- Place trivet into the instant pot. Add 1 cup water. Add chicken on top of the trivet. Set to high pressure for 40 minutes. This allows the chicken to cook all the way through the center. If you feel like this is too long then cook for less and check the chicken. This is made in a 6 quart instant pot duo. Additionally, it doesn't take long to come to pressure so the cook time is perfect for thicker thighs.
- Once the instant pot stops counting quick release the pressure. Remove chicken and slice. Place with pita bread, cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions. The onions are optional.
- Mix together yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic. Add in salt, sumac, cayenne pepper, and pepper. Stir well.
- Top over chicken for excellent flavor!
Try These Reader Favorite Instant Pot Recipes
Quite a few of our Instant Pot Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite instant pot recipes that we hope you'll also try!
Try These Reader Favorite Dinner Recipes
Quite a few of our Dinner Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite dinner recipes that we hope you'll also try!