You will be totally prepared for summer with this Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktail! Peach vodka, grenadine, peach puree, lemon juice, and simple syrup come together to make one delicious summer drink.
It is hot as blue blazes out there already y’all! That has the kids asking about all things water and I’ve been thinking about cool and refreshing adult beverages!
As much as I love my ridiculously easy Two Ingredient Orange Blood Margarita, I do like to shake things up (literally, in this case) and try new summer drinks that make me feel like I’m on vacation. Who doesn’t? Today I’m sharing a layered drink recipe I like to call the Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktail and it is just perfect for sipping on a hot summer day or night!
How to successfully layer this Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktail (and other drinks)
- Pour your liquids in order from the heaviest to lightest. This makes sense when you think about it because … gravity. For this Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktail, I’ve obviously shared the proper order for you. For other cocktails, when in doubt check online. “The truth is out there.”
- Pour each liquid into the center of the glass to keep the liquids from coating the sides.
- Liquids should be poured very slowly to prevent them from displacing the liquid layer below. (Feeling like a scientist yet?)
- For this Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktail, you can pour your layers without using the back of spoon because you are pouring your liquids over the ice in each glass. The ice (and the spoon method) help slow the liquid and disperse the weight more evenly which float your layers neatly.
- The narrower the glass, the more obvious your layers will be.
- Practice makes perfect! And it’s just fun. 😉
Can this cocktail be made in a pitcher?
Yes and no. You can make these Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktails in a pitcher, but you won’t have the layering effect. The good news is, it’s easier and tastes just as amazing! Typically, the first round of these cocktails I like to layer up nicely to impress guests, but I also make a backup pitcher earlier to have on standby so I don’t miss all the fun while I’m playing bartender. This is done simply by nixing the layering steps, mixing all the ingredients (except the ice, of course) together in a pitcher, and then chilling it in the fridge. When we are ready for round two of these summery cocktails, they are already ready for us. All you have to do is pour over fresh ice, sip, and aaaah!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make this Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktail
- 1 C. Simple Syrup (see recipe card for full recipe)
- 1 C. Lemon Juice
- 1 C. Vodka
- 2oz Peach Vodka
- 2oz Peach Puree
- 2oz Grenadine
How to Make a Red Mermaid Lemon Drop Cocktail
Step #1: Make the simple syrup.
Step #2: Fill four glasses halfway with crushed ice and pour ½ oz of Grenadine on top of each.
Step #3: Mix together 2oz of Peach Vodka and Peach Puree and slowly layer 1 oz of the mix on top of the Grenadine and set aside.
Step #4: In a large shaker filled with ice, add your simple syrup, lemon juice, and vodka. Shake until chilled all the way through.
Step #5: Very slowly pour into your glasses to create a layered effect.
Enjoy right away!
More Summer Recipes for You to Enjoy
- 1 C. Simple Syrup recipe below
- 1 C. Lemon Juice
- 1 C. Vodka
- 2 oz Peach Vodka
- 2 oz Peach Puree
- 2 oz Grenadine
- 1 C. Cold Water
- 1 C. Sugar
Make the simple syrup (see next section).
- Fill four glasses halfway with crushed ice and pour ½ oz of Grenadine on top of each.
- Mix together 2oz of Peach Vodka and Peach Puree and slowly layer 1 oz of the mix on top of the Grenadine and set aside.
- In a large shaker filled with ice, add your simple syrup, lemon juice, and vodka. Shake until chilled all the way through.
- Very slowly pour into your glasses to create a layered effect.
- Enjoy right away!
- Bring water to a low boil and add in sugar.
- Remove from heat immediately and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature and thicken before use.