This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, thank you!
If you’re looking for the best and softest playdough, this is the recipe!
The Best Playdough Recipe
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour for each color desired
- 1 ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar for each color desired
- 3 ½ tablespoons salt for each color desired
- ¾ cup water for each color desired
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for each color desired
- Food coloring gel food coloring yields brighter colors
- In a medium pot, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cream of tartar, and salt. Stir in water, vegetable oil, and food coloring.
- Place the pot over medium heat and stir constantly.
- When the dough comes together as a ball and the liquid has absorbed, transfer the dough to waxed, freezer, or parchment paper.
- While the dough is still warm but cool to touch, knead the dough until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three months.