Make some delicious banana cream cupcakes filled with cream cheese icing! Your guests will love them.
Banana Cream Cupcakes with Cream Cheese filling and Icing
Ingredients for Cupcake Base:
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1 stick ½ c. butter
- 1 t. vanilla extract or ½ t. vanilla and ½ t. banana extract
- 1-½ c. mashed very ripe bananas (brown spots welcome)
- ½ t. baking soda
- 2 t. baking powder
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1-½ c. flour all-purpose or cake flour works equally well
Icing and Filling Ingredients:
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 4 oz. butter room temperature
- 1 t. banana extract can substitute vanilla extract if desired
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 24 count cupcake pan with paper liners
- Cream butter with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing after each addition
- Add bananas and extract/extracts and mix well
- Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold ½ of whipped egg whites into wet mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until blended.
- Add remaining ½ whipped egg whites and fold in.
- Bake on center rack of oven for approximately 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (or at least mostly clean)
- Remove from oven to a wire rack and cool completely.
Instructions for Icing:
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy
- Beat in butter and extract
- Add powdered sugar, a small amount at a time, continuing to mix until thoroughly combined
- Remove core from center of each cupcake, using an apple corer or small spoon, going about ⅔ of the way to the bottom of the cupcakes.
- Spoon or pipe icing into the hole in center of each cupcake
- Spread icing on tops of each cupcake or pipe on. I used a Wilton #1M. #2A works well also.
- Leftover cupcakes should be stored in refrigerator.