If you have some boxed macaroni sitting in your pantry, take it out and make a gourmet meal for your family! It’s so easy to turn it into a 10!
- What type of macaroni and cheese should I use?
- I used the boxed kraft macaroni and cheese for this recipe, but my recommendation is to choose your favorite brand. You can use the kraft macaroni and cheese deluxe, organic macaroni and cheese, Velveeta shells and cheese, etc. Just note that a different brand will give you a different flavor, but feel free to experiment and tell me which one you love the most!
- Can I make any substitutions to my macaroni and cheese recipe?
- This is a great recipe to mix and match different ingredients! You can add in a different type of cheese such as Colby jack, pepper jack, mozzarella, Velveeta, or even parmesan cheese to get a different flavor.
- Consider adding in a can of your favorite type of beans for more protein and an even heartier macaroni and cheese.
- You can substitute the sausage for hot sausage for a little more spice (instead of using mild), ground beef, cooked bacon, or grilled chicken. Just make sure the meat is fully cooked before adding in macaroni and cheese.
- Storage Instructions
- You can store this upgraded macaroni and cheese for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Although I haven’t tried it, you may be able to freeze this for up to 2 weeks. Some things to think about: don’t overcook the pasta. It needs to be cooked to al dente and no further than that. If it is overcooked, it will turn to mush or disintegrate when it’s being reheated. I recommend thawing in the refrigerator the night before and then reheating it on the stove.
Upgraded Boxed Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 box macaroni and cheese prepared according to package directions
- 4 TBSP butter or margarine for macaroni and cheese
- 1/2 cup milk for macaroni and cheese
- 1/2 lb Ground sausage
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 14.5 oz can Rotel, undrained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded and divided in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro optional garnish
- Combine onion and sausage in a pan over medium-high heat and cook until the sausage is no longer pink, and the onion is translucent. Drain grease and set aside.
- Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package instructions. Cook macaroni noodles for 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Do not overcook pasta.
- Drain water and stir in cheese powder, butter or margarine, and milk until butter has melted.
- Add macaroni and cheese, rotel, and 1 cup cheddar cheese into the sausage and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat until cheese has melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium-low and sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over the top of the macaroni and sausage mixture. Cover and cook until cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro (optional) and serve. Enjoy!
Try These Reader Favorite Dinner Recipes
Quite a few of our Dinner Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite dinner recipes that we hope you'll also try!