Have you ever had Earthquake Cake? If you have never had a delicious piece of EarthQuake Cake, you don’t know what you are missing. This is a German Chocolate Cake mixed with coconut, pecans and cream cheese. Is there anything better? I don’t think so!
My first bite of Earthquake Cake shook my world. (See what I did there?) But honestly, I was blown away by how good this cake tasted. I was surprised by the flavors and how perfectly they all went together. It has become a family favorite and I am sure it will be a hit for your friends and family too.
What is Earthquake Cake?
Earthquake cake is a rich chocolate cake, usually based on a German Chocolate cake, that has coconut, pecans, cream cheese, and sometimes chocolate chips. The cake is gooey, and sweet and filled with all these great flavors. Since it starts with a cake mix, it is really easy to make. Once you have tried Earthquake cake you are going to wonder where it has been all your life.
What to Serve with Earthquake Cake?
Since this cake is so rich, it doesn’t really need anything to go with it. You could serve it with:
- How to Make Whipped Cream at Home + Video
- Whipped Buttercream Frosting + Video
- Easy Cream Cheese Frosting
- How to Make Chocolate Ganache + Video
Variations to Earthquake Cake
I love when I can change a recipe here and there. I love the original but sometimes, I just want to tweak it a little bit.
- Walnuts: If you don’t like pecans, you can change them to walnuts.
- Icing or no icing: This cake is great tasting frosted or left as is. It just depends on personal taste and the level of sweetness you enjoy.
- Cake Mix: If you can not find German Cake mix, you can use a basic chocolate cake as well.
Ingredients for Earthquake Cake
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- German Cake Mix (plus box ingredients)
How to Make Earthquake Cake
Start by covering the bottom of your greased baking pan with coconut and pecans.
Prepare your cake mix according to box instructions. Pour prepared batter over top of the coconut and pecans.
In a large mixing bowl or blender, add butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Mix until smooth.
Drop spoonfuls of mixture into cake batter, as shown. Do not stir.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees until baked through. Let cool. Icing if desired and top with any remaining pecans.
Serve and enjoy!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
- 1 cup of Coconut
- 1 cup of Pecans
- 1 stick of Butter
- 8 oz. of Cream Cheese
- 1 lb. of Powdered Sugar
- 1 box of German Cake Mix plus box ingredients
- Start by covering the bottom of your greased baking pan with coconut and pecans.
- Prepare your cake mix according to box instructions.
- Pour prepared batter over top of the coconut and pecans.
- In a large mixing bowl or blender, add butter, cream cheese, and sugar.
- Mix until smooth.
- Drop spoonfuls of mixture into cake batter, as shown. Do not stir.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees until baked through.
- Let cool.
- Icing if desired and top with any remaining pecans.
- Serve and enjoy!
Try These Reader Favorite Dessert Recipes
Quite a few of our Dessert Recipes have been very popular across social media. Here's a few of our readers favorite dessert recipes that we hope you'll also try!