Penne Carbonara recipe with Bacon is an easy carbonara recipe, using leftover bacon from breakfast. This quick pasta dinner is on the table in under 20 minutes!
There are times I am watching a show on the Food Network and I think I can make that myself. Some of the times, the ingredients that they use just are not practical when you are making dinner at home. Since I wanted to make a Carbonara recipe, I decided to make my own with ingredients I keep in my kitchen.
What to Serve with Penne Carbonara with Bacon
I love this recipe for carbonara. It is delicious and easy to make. Since I like to have cooked bacon on hand for recipes, this comes together in no time. I usually make bacon in the oven. It is just so much easier. When thinking about what to serve with this carbonara recipe, why not try:
Variation to this Penne Carbonara Recipe with Bacon
I love when a recipe can be changed and tailored to what you love. If you want to change up this recipe a little. Try adding:
- Adding frozen peas to the dish would make it pop with color!
- Play around with the cheese variations. I used mozzarella I had on hand. Parmesan is often used in carbonara recipes.
- If I have fresh spinach on hand, I’ll throw a handful in. Makes the penne carbonara so pretty!
- Sub out the bacon for pancetta.
- Add in some sun-dried tomatoes, I’m literally drooling at the thought!
- Need protein? Throw in a chicken breast or two.
Watch me make it live…
Ingredients in Penne Carbonara with Bacon
- Barilla Penne Noodles
- Yellow Onion
- Salt & Pepper
- Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make Penne Carbonara Recipe with Bacon
Boil your noodles, drain them al dente. In a large skillet, add bacon, onion, butter and garlic. Let it cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent and bacon has been heated back up. Turn the stove off.
In a large bowl, mix together with milk and cheese. Add the cheese mixture to your hot skillet. The cheese will begin to melt and the egg/milk mixture will create a nice yummy sauce.
Once the cheese has melted add in the parsley and stir.
TIP: If you want to reheat the penne carbonara, you’ll need to add a bit of milk, otherwise it will be a bit dry.
Need More Show-stopping Recipes for Entertaining
- Chicken Shish Kabob
- Smores Dip
- Philly Cheese Steak Sliders
- Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Alice Springs Chicken
- Oreo Brownies
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast
- Texas Roadhouse Rolls
- Blueberry Dump Cake
Penne Carbonara with Bacon
- 1 Box Barilla Penne Noodles cooked and drained
- 8 Pieces Bacon diced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion sliced
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 1/2 TBSP Garlic diced
- 4 Eggs
- 1 C Milk
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 1/2 C Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- 1 1/2 TBSP Dried Parsley or 3 TBSP Fresh Parsley
- Boil your noodles, drain them al dente.
- In a large skillet add in bacon, onion, butter and garlic. Let cook 5 minutes until onions are translucent and bacon has been heated back up. Turn the stove OFF.
- In a small bowl mix eggs together with milk and cheese.
- Add the cheese mixture to your hot skillet. The cheese will begin to melt and the eggs/milk mixture will create a nice yummy sauce.
- Once the cheese has melted add in the parsley and stir.